Why XP can not run Python after being setting the PATH?

Brian McFarland brian.mcf1985 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 16:11:23 EDT 2006

Dumb question... but you're 100% positive your python install is in
"C:\Program Files\Python24"  and not just "C:\Python24"  Right?

Also, an alternative approach to being able to run python from the
command line is to add it to the path variable in each instance of
cmd.exe when it starts up.  To do this, run regedit, then edit the key
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Command Process\AutoRun"  You
might have to add the key autorun if it's not there, and this can be
done in CURRENT_USER or LOCAL_MACHINE.   Enter the value :

PATH %PATH%;C:\progra~1\python24;

I use this approach to add directories containing other command line
tools that I don't necessarily want in the path all the time since a
cluttered path can cause problems sometimes.