Advice for Python Reporting Tool

rwboley rwboley at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 13:44:38 EDT 2006

I'm currently learning my way through Python and in the process
developing a reporting tool for the company I'm working for.

Basically the tool rips through an existing .XML file to grab the
information needed and spits it out in a nicely formated html page that
is easily read by anyone.  This part works great, however I'm finding
myself a bit lost on the next step.

My employers want a graph added to the functionality.  Prior to this,
they have been loading the .XML file into excel and forming a crude
pivot table.  Of the table a nice looking graph is generated.

My question is: how can I make that graphing step easier?  Ideally I'd
like the chart to exist on it's own page, but I have no idea where to
even begin to implement this.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Ryan