Abuse of the object-nature of functions?

Carl J. Van Arsdall cvanarsdall at mvista.com
Tue Jul 11 13:17:07 EDT 2006

Sybren Stuvel wrote:
> Ant enlightened us with:
>
>>     try:
>>         assertion = callable.is_assertion
>>     except:
>>         pass
>>

> Try to make a habit out of catching only the exceptions you know will
> be thrown. Catching everything generally is a bad idea. In this case,
> my bet is that catching AttributeError is enough.

What about doing exception kind of like a C switch statement with a
default case:

try:
  do_something()
except TypeError:
  fix_something()
except:
  print "Unknown error, you are doomed"
  traceback.print_exc()  #something to print the traceback
  exit_gracefully()

Is this frowned upon?  You still handle the error and you know where it
happened and what happened.  Anything wrong with this?  I don't like the
idea of my system crashing for any reason.

-carl

--

Carl J. Van Arsdall
cvanarsdall at mvista.com