Non-ASCII languages

Scott David Daniels scott.daniels at acm.org
Sat Jul 1 21:50:55 EDT 2006

Tim Roberts wrote:
> It surprises many people to learn that virtually everything we
> think of as modern and interesting in computer science was first explored
> in the 1960s and early 1970s.  GUIs, color, 3D, structured progamming,
> networking, interpreters, Unix; the list goes on and on.  It was probably
> the most exciting time in the history of computers.

Here I think you're wrong, my vote is the 1940s:
     First time for tons of stuff, fate of the world hangs in the
balance, no idea if some of this is going to work, ....
Essentially all the crypto push with top secret machines decoding
German traffic, and the desperate attempt to crack the Japanese
Purple system.  I expect the efforts at Bletchley Park, Princeton,
numerous unnamed locations, and even Germany and Japan were pulse-
pounding.  In the sixties and seventies we were just having immense
fun making things go, at least by comparison.

--Scott David Daniels
scott.daniels at acm.org