Out of the box database support

Alex Martelli aleax at mac.com
Mon Jul 3 12:38:23 EDT 2006

Alex Biddle <heuristic at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey there.
>
> I was wondering whether Python had any support out-of-the-box for
> database functionality, or database-like functionality.
>
> For instance a lot of shared hosts have Python installed, but not the
> MySQL extension, the flexible of these would install it, but most of
> the time they wouldn't bother.
>
> I was really looking for something like SQLite which ships bundled
> with PHP these days. Or any standard way of connecting to generic
> databases out of the box, i.e. MySQL.

Python 2.5's standard library includes pysqlite.  For any other DB, or
any previous release of Python, you need separate downloads.

Of course, shared hosts that are too lazy (and uninterested in
supporting Python) to perform a 20-seconds download and install, will
hardly be upgrading to Python 2.5 in the next 20 years or so, therefore
I doubt that pysqlite becoming part of the standard library is of any
help to the problem you have stated (in the "for instance" paragraph).

Alex