Python audio output switch

Ben Sizer kylotan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 11:11:47 EDT 2006

Pan Xingzhi wrote:
> Guys:
>
>      Hi there. Recently I'll have to write a quite interesting program
> in Python on a Linux box. What I need is a function which allows the
> user to 'switch' the audio output from <an audio
> file>/<microphone>/<line in>.

They are audio inputs, not audio outputs!

I don't know of any Python modules for this, though maybe one exists.
Most documentation is for C coders, and depends a lot upon what sound
system your distribution of Linux is running. If you are using OSS
(Open Sound System), you may be able to access /dev/mixer to choose
which device is the default input. (Although I am more used to systems
where you can read each input independently.) If so, you may find this
page gives you a few pointers:
http://www.oreilly.de/catalog/multilinux/excerpt/ch14-07.htm

If you are using something else, like ALSA, you may want to look at
their documentation. Or perhaps http://jackaudio.org/ will be of use.

--
Ben Sizer