Multiplatform scripts: Can I avoid os.sep?

Mike Kent mrmakent at cox.net
Thu Jul 13 13:22:43 EDT 2006

gmax2006 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am developing scripts that must run on both Linux and windows.
>
> My scripts contain lots of relative paths (such as log\\log.txt or
> ctl\\table.ctl) If I use os.sep, it makes the code ugly. Is there any
> tips or techniques to have Python automatically converts \\ to / when
> the script runs on Linux? What is the best way to deal with this
> situation?

Use Jason Orendorff's path module:

http://www.jorendorff.com/articles/python/path/

Then you can do things like:

targetPath = 'some' / 'random' / 'path'

and the overridden '/' operator will do the right thing for the OS you
are on.
Of course, using the '/' operator in this manner makes some people's
heads explode.