mod_python fails to load under wamp

Luis M. González luismgz at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 20:04:05 EDT 2006

Gaurav Agarwal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am using WAMP5 and python 2.4.3. I tried to install mod_python 3.2.5
> for python2.4. When i tried starting wamp, Firstly there was no error
> message in the apache error log. I saw error message in windows event
> viewer :
>
> "The Apache service named Apache.exe reported the following error:
>  before the error.log file could be opened.
>
> "The Apache service named Apache.exe reported the following error:
>  before the error.log file could be opened."
>
> I tried searching the net and found this
> http://www.modpython.org/FAQ/faqw.py?req=all#2.10 but i don't have
> depends.exe. if somebody has faced this problem before, can you please
> assist in fixing this bug..

I'm not an expert in the subject, but I have experienced many troubles
in the past while installing and configuring apache and mod_python...
It is important to know that each version of apache may match or not a
given version of mod_python, so make sure to install the correct
versions of each component.
Right now, I'm running on windows the following versions:

Apache/2.0.55 (Win32)
mod_python/3.2.8
Python/2.4.2

I installed "xampp" which is a single application that installs all at
once (Apache, php, mysql, etc...) except mod_python, which should be
installed separately.

I suggest you search the download files on Xampp's sourceforge site and
look for an older version with Apache 2.0.55 . I'm not sure, but I
think xampp version 1.5.1 will be ok
(http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=61776)

Then, get the mod_python installer (version 3.2.8)
http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/modpython/win/3.2.8/

After that, all you have to do is a few modifications in Apache
httpd.config file.
Uncomment (or add) the following line:

LoadModule python_module modules/mod_python.so

And finally, if you want, you can set the configurations of the
handler's you want to use with mod_python (they can be publisher, psp,
or any other custom one).
These configurations can be set on this file, or separately on each web
folder as .htaccess files.

Hope it helps...
Luis