Py2exe & (Py)QT4

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Thu Jul 20 17:12:28 EDT 2006

shane.external at gmail.com wrote:
> I'm having trouble using Py2exe with a PyQT-based python project. Or
> possibly I'm having a problem with PyQT and Py2exe makes it apparent.
> Whichever it is, I run into trouble with importing QtCore and QtGui.
> The error reported is:
>
>  Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "xmlEdit.py", line 3, in ?
>    File "PyQt4\QtCore.pyc", line 12, in ?
>    File "PyQt4\QtCore.pyc", line 10, in __load
>  ImportError: DLL load failed: Invalid access to memory location.
>
> Line 10 is the import of QtCore.pyd, which is  included in the dist
> folder. Curiously, this is the same error I get when I input "from
> PyQt4 import QtCore, QtGui" into IDLE, so I'm not even sure it's a
> Py2exe issue. I'm not quite sure what the error means, only that it
> isn't that the file is not found (a Module Not Found error occurs if I
> remove QtCore.pyd).

I don't use Windows, so I can only guess at what the problem is.
Maybe the libraries that QtCore.pyd depends on aren't available,
or they are in a place that the import machinery doesn't know
about.

> It run just fine from the command line. Can anyone shed some light on
> this? QT version is 4.1.3. Python is 2.4.3 and PyQT is 4.0.1.

I can only suggest looking in the py2exe Wiki:

  http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/moin.cgi/Py2Exe

I tried searching for similar report but only found this one

  http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/msg/75317974fd73ea88

that might help you diagnose the problem.

If you want to take this to a PyQt-related mailing list, visit