What is a type error?

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Wed Jul 12 10:04:28 EDT 2006

Darren New schrieb:
> As far as I understand it, Eiffel compilers don't even make use of
> postconditions to optimize code or eliminate run-time checks (like null
> pointer testing).

That's correct.

I think a large part of the reasons why this isn't done is that Eiffel's
semantics is (a) too complicated (it's an imperative language after
all), and (b) not formalized, which makes it difficult to assess what
optimizations are safe and what aren't.

(Reason (c) is that Eiffel compiler vendors don't have the manpower for
this kind of work, mostly in quantity but also, to some degree, in
quality: people with a solid language semantics background tend to be
repelled by the language inventor's know-it-all deny-the-problems
don't-bother-me-with-formalisms attitude. He still has moved the state
of the art ahead - mostly by pointing out a certain class of problems in
OO designs and explaining them lucidly, and proposing solutions that
hold up better than average even if still fundamentally flawed.)

Regards,
Jo