Track keyboard and mouse usage

dfaber deusfaber at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 15:12:59 EDT 2006

Hi all,
 I have been searching for a keyboard and mouse tracker on linux. I've
read solutions (watch at sourceforge) which look at /proc/interrupts to
check keyboard or mouse activity. I also read one post where "watch"
seems to have difficulty tracking usb keyboards and mice. So, I'm out
of ideas here.

My goal are:
1. Check keyboard activity. I'm not interested in logging which keys
are pressed or record them.
2. Monitor mouse activity. I want to know the pointer position,
left-clicks, right-clicks, middle-mouse button usage.

I know that these things can be done in a GUI environment. I am looking
for some approach that helps me do this system-wide.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Again, I am looking for trackers on
Linux based machines.