About Embedding PyWin or wxPython

Philippe Martin pmartin at snakecard.com
Tue Jul 25 12:25:56 EDT 2006

Mr. Roboto wrote:

> Phillipe:  Actually, it's not performance of the core app that concerns
> me.  I'm thinking more about UI/form *design* productivity.  I've done
> a lot of Access work over the years and while the stand-alone VB form
> designer isn't quite as thorough, it's still one of the slickest out
> there.  Unfortunately, there's no designer for PyWin and wxPython's
> XRC is nice but not in the same league as what can be done w/ Delphi
> or VB.  Yes, I'm aware that wxWidgets has a real form designer, but
> that's yet another story, for another day.
>
> Making XRC into a more fully-featured tool (more on par w/ the
> aforementioned) is a way nice project unto itself, but not right now.
> However, the desk accessory I've mentioned is an excellent 1st step
> towards *possibly* doing something much bigger....
>
> Philippe Martin wrote:
>> Do you have major performances issues ? why not write everything in
>> Python/WxPython ?
>>

>> I used to write my applications in VB6 with python com objects ... and
>> decided there was no gain there.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Philippe

I personally _really_ like wxDesigner (http://www.roebling.de/)  and as
under VB6, I always avoided having the tables filled for me (bound forms if
I recall) I have not found my productivity go down ... but then again, I
never was a VB expert.

1)
As others have said, it is very easy to make a Python com object (thank you
Mark!) - and as long as Windows keeps supporting COM ....

2)
I chose the COM option

3)
If your script does not handle exceptions, you'll have a fairly cryptic VB
dialog box telling you about your python com object unhapiness - I find it
more easy to handle the expections in the script

4)
Yes it takes space - I have an application that uses Python, wxPython,
Gadfly, pyserial, HTMLGen ..... and the whole thing takes 120M

I used visual studio to buld a single install for everything- works well.

The one open issue I have about wxPython in a com object is how the main
event loop (in your core application) will react if a com object with GUI
pops-up ... never tried it.

Regards,

Philippe