PyQT installation /configuration

adrian_p_smith at yahoo.com adrian_p_smith at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 15 22:17:21 EDT 2006

David Boddie wrote:

> The module structures for PyQt3 and PyQt4 are quite different: the
> monolithic qt module from PyQt3 has been replaced by a number of
> modules in PyQt4. Despite this, there is a similar way to "import qt"
> in PyQt4:
>
>   from PyQt4 import Qt
>
> However, you will have difficulty using the examples in that book
> because it was written for PyQt3.

Ah yes, it doesn't recognise "QApplication" now. Never mind.

> Work is underway to "port" the book
> to PyQt4, but it will take some time. (You can help with this and learn
> about PyQt4 at the same time, if you want.)

Er...you might be overestimating my potential unless there's some
*really* entry-level material to be dealt with there. Though they do
say it's a good way to learn. Is there a forum?

> In the meantime, the set of slides from a talk at EuroPython 2006 is
> probably the only learning material on the web for PyQt4:
>
> http://indico.cern.ch/contributionDisplay.py?contribId=33&sessionId=41&confId=44
>
> There's plenty of learning material for Qt 4; the official
> documentation at http://doc.trolltech.com/4.1 contains examples
> and overviews that are readable if you already know C++.

One of the reasons I chose Python was so I wouldn't have to, alas.

Thanks!