How to delete a Python package

Nick Vatamaniuc vatamane at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 14:54:29 EDT 2006

Skip,

Uninstall support is hard, you would turn distutils (setup.py) into a
package management system, but wait...!  there are already package
managers that do exactly that (rpm, deb, Windows Installer).

If no distro installer package is available for your Python module --
build it yourself and when done share with others, you are probably
already using a lot of stuff created by others, so if you see something
missing, add it, and give back to the community.

Or you could just use the package folder locally in your project to
begin with and never bother with a system-wide install. In general, for
a 'clean' system try not to use multiple installers or incompatible
package managers to put stuff in your system directories -- it will
create a mess over time.

I use Ubuntu, and so far I was able to find all the Python modules I
need as an installable .deb file, that is why I suggested Linux.
Actually as far as I am  concerned, having all your modules, IDEs, and
libraries available in a nicely organized repository, available at the
touch of an 'agt-get'  command is a pretty good reason to switch.

Nick V.