Capturing instant messages

Nick Vatamaniuc vatamane at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 16:03:49 EDT 2006

Assuming a one person per one machine per one chat protocol it might be
possible to recreate the tcp streams (a lot of packet capturing devices
already do that). So the gateway would have to have some kind of a
dispatch that would recognize the initialization of a chat loggon and
start a capture process for each such connection. I imagine with a 1000
employess he will end up with a 1000 processes running at the same
time. Another way is to capture all the streams at once that deal with
the chat protocol and ports and then replay them later and somehow
cre-create the tcp streams and chat messages in a cron batch job (at
night or weekend).

Nick V.