run a string as code?

mtbeedee at gmail.com mtbeedee at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 19:08:24 EDT 2006

py_genetic wrote:
> How can you make python interpret a string (of py code) as code.  For
> example if you want a py program to modify itself as it runs.  I know
> this is an advantage of interpreted languages, how is this done in
> python.  Thanks.

This might do it...

>>> print eval.__doc__
eval(source[, globals[, locals]]) -> value

Evaluate the source in the context of globals and locals.
The source may be a string representing a Python expression
or a code object as returned by compile().
The globals must be a dictionary and locals can be any mappping,
defaulting to the current globals and locals.
If only globals is given, locals defaults to it.