Tkinter problem

Jim Anderson ezjab at ieee.org
Fri Jul 7 17:55:28 EDT 2006

I'm running Kubuntu a derivative of Debian Linux. I'm using
Python 2.4 and tcl/tk 8.4. I'm running Tkinter programs and
they were running about a month ago. When I tried them again
yesterday, I got the following message:

 > python ~/prog/python/iodef/iodef.py
 > Traceback (most recent call last):
 >   File "/home/jja/prog/python/iodef/iodef.py", line 10, in ?
 >     import pkgview
 >   File "/home/jja/prog/python/iodef/lib/pkgview.py", line 3, in ?
 >     from Tkinter import *
 >   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 38, in ?
 >     import _tkinter # If this fails your Python may not be configured
 > for Tk
 > ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.4/lib-dynload/_tkinter.so: cannot open
 > > shared object file: No such file or directory

My environment varibles, like PTYHONPATH and TK_LIBRIARY all look
correct and the tcl/tk and python librarys are all still in place.
There is a file '/usr/lib/python2.4/lib-dynload/_tkinter.so'. I'm
not sure if this is the file not being found, but that is what is
sounds like.

I did a search on this on the web and got some hits, but none of them
provide a solution to my problem.

Can anyone help with this problem?

Jim Anderson