New to threads. How do they work?

gel geli at tasmail.com
Wed Jul 19 22:08:12 EDT 2006

Hi all
I am attempting to understand threads to use in a network app which I
am writing.  The part that I am going to use threads on is run on the
clients/workstations.  I will monitor all starting and ending
processes. Below is what I have been doing.  It looks like only the
first thread is starting.  Can someone explain a basic example of how
threads work and are implemented, what is better to use threading or
thread module, and what am I doing wrong in the example below.  I know
I have asked a lot of questions, any help/direction would be
appreciated.

Thanks

import wmi
import pythoncom
import thread

def create():

        pythoncom.CoInitialize()
        c = wmi.WMI()
        while 1 :

            print "watching creation"
            watcher = c.watch_for(notification_type="Creation",
wmi_class="Win32_Process", delay_secs=1)
            print watcher()

def delete():

        pythoncom.CoInitialize()
        d = wmi.WMI()
        while 1 :
            print "watching deletion"
            watcher = d.watch_for(notification_type="Deletion",
wmi_class="Win32_Process", delay_secs=1)
            print watcher()

thread.start_new_thread(create(),())
thread.start_new_thread(delete(),())