What is a type error?

Andreas Rossberg rossberg at ps.uni-sb.de
Fri Jul 14 05:24:45 EDT 2006

Marshall wrote:

> After all, what are the alternatives? Purely-functional
> languages remove themselves from a large class of
> problems that I consider important: data management.

Maybe, but I have yet to see how second-class variables are really more
adequate in dealing with it.

And note that even with second-class state you can still have aliasing
issues - you just need mutable arrays and pass around indices. Keys in
databases are a more general form of the same problem.

> I have explored the OO path to its bitter end and am
> convinced it is not the way. So what is left? Uniqueness
> types and logic programming, I suppose. I enjoy logic
> programming but it doesn't seem quite right. But notice:
> no pointers there!  And it doesn't seem to suffer from the
> lack.

Uh, aliasing all over the place! Actually, I think that logic
programming, usually based on deep unification, brings by far the worst
incarnation of aliasing issues to the table.

- Andreas

Andreas Rossberg, rossberg at ps.uni-sb.de