Project organisation

Harry George harry.g.george at boeing.com
Wed Jul 19 01:08:52 EDT 2006

rony steelandt <bucodi at yahoo.fr> writes:

> Imagine I have x projects and they all use util.py
>
> What would be the best way to organise this
>
> 1.
> c --\project1\*.py
>   |-\project2\*.py
>   --\globals\util.py
>
> This organisation has the problem that if I have to modify something to
> util.py that I need in project2, I'll have to retest project1 to make sure
> it still works (that could be project 1..n).
>
> 2.
> A copy of util.py in each project directory ? The advantage is that I can
> modify each util.py in function of the need of the project but it looks
> clutered, having n versions of util.py.
>
> What is the best solution ? or is there another even better solution ?
>
> Rony

Is "util.py" supposed to do the same thing wherever it is used?  No
one can answer that for you.  Your comments suggested mostly the same,
but some differences.  In that is the case, then use one main util.py
for the common items, and do a local util.py for the locally-specific
items.  Given proper attention to paths, there should be no confusion.

I wouldn't bury the common util.py in a package called "globals".
That could get really confusing.  You might make it a standalone
package, or maybe use "utilities" or "common".

--
Harry George
PLM Engineering Architecture