languages with full unicode support

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Tue Jul 4 03:22:01 EDT 2006

Oliver Bandel schrieb:
> Matthias Blume wrote:
>
>> Tin Gherdanarra <tinman31337 at gmail.com> writes:

>>> Uhm, I'd guess that Xah is Chinese. Be careful
>>> with such things in real life; Koreans might
>>> beat you up for this. Stay alive!
>>

>> And the Japanese might beat him up, too.  For butchering their
>> language. :-)
>
> OK, back to ISO-8859-1 :)  no one needs so much symbols,
> this is enough: äöüÄÖÜß :)

If you want äöüÄÖÜß, anybody else will want their local characters, too,
and nothing below full Unicode will work.

Just for laughs, here's a list of non-ASCII Latin-based letters in
Unicode (not verified for completeness):
   ÀÁÂÃÄÅÆàáâãäåæĀāĂ㥹ǺǻǼǽ
   ÇçĆćĈĉĊċČč
   ĎďĐđ
   ÈÉÊËèéêëĒēĔĕĖėĘęĚě
   ĜĝĞğĠġĢģ
   ĤĥĦħ
   ÌÍÎÏìíîïĨĩĪīĬĭĮįİıIJij
   Ĵĵ
   Ķķĸ
   ĹĺĻļĽĿŀŁł
   Ðð
   ÑñŃńŅņŇňʼnŊŋ
   ÒÓÔÕØòóôöõŌōŎŏÖŐőŒœǾǿ
   ŔŕŖŗŘř
   ŚśŜŝŞşŠšß
   ŢţŤťŦŧ
   ÜÙÚÛüùúûŨũŪūŭŮůŰűŲų
   Ŵŵ
   ÝýÿŶŷŸ
   Þþ
   ŹźŻżŽž
   ƒſ
ISO 8859-1 covers just a fraction of these, so Unicode would indeed be
necessary to allow a program written in one country to compile in
another one.

Regards,
Jo