EuroPython 2006 and Py3.0

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Jul 14 09:16:41 EDT 2006

bearophileHUGS at lycos.com wrote:
> Kay Schluehr:
>
>>there is nothing really new or interesting or challenging.
>>Micro-optimizations and shape lifting.
>

> I see. Maybe Python is becoming a commodity used by more than 10e6
> persons, so changellenges aren't much fit anymore.
> Guido has tried to avoid the problems of Perl6, making Py3.0 a
> improvement and not a revolution. The good thing is that we'll probably
> see a beta version in 14-18 months. Py3.0 from being like fantasy is
> become something close, this is a good thing.
> I may ask you what you would like to see in Py3.0, but remember that
> your answer may become ignored by the developers.

The real problems with the Py3k list seem to be associated with a number
of people who, despite having had little apparent connection to the
language until now, have joined the list and started making
inappropriate suggestions, which then have to be (patiently) rejected.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119