Global "except" condition

Simon Forman rogue_pedro at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 10 20:20:34 EDT 2006

Ernesto wrote:
> Within the scope of one Python file (say myFile.py), I'd like to print
> a message on ANY exception that occurs in THAT file, dependent on a
> condition.
>
> Here's the pseudocode:
>
> if anyExceptionOccurs():
>       if myCondition:
>             print "Here's my global exception message"
>

> Is this functionality possible in python?  If so, how?

Either wrap all your module level code in a try:.. except:.. statement,
or you can replace the sys.excepthook() function with your own custom
function (see http://docs.python.org/lib/module-sys.html)  but that
would then be called for all uncaught exceptions, even those that were
raised from modules other than your myFile.py.

HTH,
~Simon