newbie graphing recommendations ?

bearophileHUGS at lycos.com bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sun Jul 16 05:28:18 EDT 2006

Bryan:
> do you think that pygame would be a good alternative to matplotlib to create
> some graphs such simple bar and line graphs?

For graphs MatPlotLib is usually better, and its antialiasing library
(Anti-Grain Geometry) is wonderful. Pygame gives a bit more freedom but
you have to do all for yourself.

> i want to animate them as new data comes comes in.

I think MatPlotLib can do this too, if your computer is fast enough.

>i would also like to have the bars and graphs have nice shading
> if possible to give it a really attractive look.

Remember what Edward Tufte (www.edwardtufte.com) says, often too much
elaborations makes graphs them less than useless.

Bye,
bearophile