How to force a thread to stop

Paul Rubin http
Fri Jul 28 09:21:30 EDT 2006

"Paul Boddie" <paul at boddie.org.uk> writes:
> Anyway, the py.execnet thing is presumably designed to work over the
> Internet and over local networks, with the benefit of SSH being that it
> applies well to both domains. Whether it's a better solution for the
> questioner's problem than established alternatives such as PVM (which
> I've never had the need to look into, even though it seems
> interesting), various distributed schedulers or anything else out
> there, I can't really say.

You could use ssh's port forwarding features and just open a normal
TCP connection to a local port that the local ssh server listens to.
Then the ssh server forwards the traffic through an encrypted tunnel
to the other machine.  Your application doesn't have to know anything
about ssh.

In fact there's a VPN function (using tun/tap) in recent versions of
ssh that should make it even simpler, but I hvean't tried it yet.