Newbie help - test for data type

Jonathan Bowlas me at jonbowlas.com
Mon Jul 31 05:54:36 EDT 2006

Thanks Bruno, I'll use this.

Much appreciated.

Jon

-----Original Message-----
From: python-list-bounces+info=jonbowlas.com at python.org
[mailto:python-list-bounces+info=jonbowlas.com at python.org] On Behalf Of
Bruno Desthuilliers
Sent: 31 July 2006 10:37
To: python-list at python.org
Subject: Re: [OT]Newbie help - test for data type

Jonathan Bowlas wrote:

> Hi Listers,

> I have a requirement to test for a data type could someone tell me if this

> is possible in python?

> Basically I have a ZPT in Zope that users can select checkboxes in a form

> which pass arguments for a python function, however if there is only one

> checkbox selected it is passed as a string whereas more than one checkbox
is

> passed as a list.

You should have posted this on Zope's mailing-list.

<OT>

There's a mechanism in Zope to handle this case, cf section "Passing

Parameters to Scripts" in:

http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/2_6Edition/DTML.stx/Scripti
ngZope.stx

The mechanism is based on 'decorating' forms fields names with type

annotation. In you case, this would look like:

<form name='xxx' action='yyy' method='POST'>

<tal:repeat repeat="code deptcodes">

  <input type="checkbox" name='selecteddeptcodes:list' value=''

         tal:attribute="value code" />

</tal:repeat>

<!-- rest of the form here -->

</form>