List Manipulation

Bruno Desthuilliers onurb at xiludom.gro
Tue Jul 4 11:54:40 EDT 2006

Roman wrote:
(please dont top-post - corrected)

> Iain King wrote:
>
>>Roman wrote:
>>
>>>I would appreciate it if somebody could tell me where I went wrong in
>>>the following snipet:

(snip)

>>What are you trying to do here?  p[:0]  returns a new list, of all the
>>elements in p up to element 0 (which is of course the empty list),
>>which is then appended to, but is not stored anywhere.  If you want to
>>insert str(col) then use p.insert
>>

>>Iain
>

> Thanks for your help
>
> My intention is to create matrix based on parsed csv file. So, I
> would like to have a list of columns (which are also lists).

csv = [
   ['L0C0', 'L0C1', 'L0C2'],
   ['L1C0', 'L1C1', 'L1C2'],
   ['L2C0', 'L2C1', 'L2C2'],
 ]

matrix = [[[] for l in range(len(csv))] for c in range(len(csv[0]))]

for numline, line in enumerate(csv):
    for numcol, col in enumerate(line):
        matrix[numcol][numline] = col

assert matrix == [
   ['L0C0', 'L1C0', 'L2C0'],
   ['L0C1', 'L1C1', 'L2C1'],
   ['L0C2', 'L1C2', 'L2C2']
 ]

NB : There are probably more elegant solutions.

> I have made the following changes and it still doesn't work.

"doesn't work" is the worst possible description of a problem...

(snip)

--
bruno desthuilliers