running python from a memory stick?

Daniel Dittmar daniel.dittmar at sap.corp
Thu Jul 13 10:34:58 EDT 2006

John Salerno wrote:
> Is there a way to 'install' and use Python on a memory stick, just as
> you would on any computer? I use Windows, and I know the installation
> does things with the registry, so probably I couldn't use the executable
> file to install it. But is it possible to do it some other way, such as
> how you might build it yourself on Linux (although I don't know how to
> do that yet) and then just write and run scripts normally straight from
> your memory stick?

Python looks for the libraries relative to python.exe. So you can copy
the Python installation directory to your memory stick (make sure that
python24.dll is included, this is copied to %windir%\system32 if you
have done  the admin installation) and it should just work. You can test
that by renaming in your registry
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Python\PythonCore\2.4 (or whatever version
you're using)

Daniel