String handling and the percent operator

Anthra Norell anthra.norell at tiscalinet.ch
Fri Jul 14 04:23:52 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Plunket" <gamedev at fancy.org>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.python
To: <python-list at python.org>
Sent: Friday, July 14, 2006 12:49 AM
Subject: String handling and the percent operator

> I have some code to autogenerate some boilerplate code so that I don't
> need to do the tedious setup stuff when I want to create a new module.
>
> So, my script prompts the user for the module name, then opens two
> files and those files each get the contents of one of these functions:

etc.

Tom
      Might this be an idea? Put symbolic names into your templates, as many
as you want and replace them with the real names:

boilerplate = """
# Module MODULE
# DATE
# SUMMARY
class CLASS
   pass
if __name__ == '__main__':
import unittest
unittest.main('CLASS_t')
"""
names = '''
   MODULE=Corner_Cutter
   "DATE=%s"
   "SUMMARY=Fast stuff"
   CLASS=Sharpener
''' % time.ctime ()

import SE
Stream_Editor = SE.SE (names)
print Stream_Editor (boilerplate)

# Module Corner_Cutter
# Fri Jul 14 10:16:53 2006
# Fast stuff
class Sharpener
   pass
if __name__ == '__main__':
import unittest
unittest.main('Sharpener_t')

Will also do files:

Stream_Editor ('boilerplates/module_template',  'projects/%s.py' %
Stream_Editor ('MODULE'))
'projects/Corner_Cutter.py'

You'd have to download SE from the Cheese Shop. I managed to upload at least
the description, but people tell me that the program isn't there. So while I
struggle with the upload (assistance welcome) I send out SE by individual
request. If you want to try it, just tell me.

Cheers

Frederic