Which Pyton Book For Newbies?

danielx danielwong at berkeley.edu
Sun Jul 23 12:58:08 EDT 2006

W. D. Allen wrote:
> I want to write a retirement financial estimating program. Python was
> suggested as the easiest language to use on Linux. I have some experience
> programming in Basic but not in Python.
>
> I have two questions:
>  1. What do I need to be able to make user GUIs for the program, and
>  2. Which book would be easiest to use to learn Python programming?
>
> Thanks,
>
> WDA
> ballensr at adelphia.net
>
> end

I'm sure you will hear this many times, but that's a great choice ;). I
really think you'll like Learning Python from O'Reilly Press. The
authors claim you can read the book even with no prior programming
experience, which seems plausible having read it. Of course, you
already have some programming experience, so it should go much more
smoothly with you. Good luck finding the right book!