readline not found error

David Bear david.bear at asu.edu
Mon Jul 31 21:16:03 EDT 2006

Robert Kern wrote:

> David Bear wrote:
>> I built python 2.4.2 for suse linux 9.3. I configured it to be a separate
>> instance of python from the version packaged with suse.
>>
>> Now when I start it I get an error:
>> python
>> Python 2.4.2 (#4, Jul 27 2006, 14:34:30)
>> [GCC 3.3.5 20050117 (prerelease) (SUSE Linux)] on linux2
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "/etc/pythonstart", line 7, in ?
>>     import readline
>> ImportError: No module named readline
>>
>> however, I do have readline installed:
>>
>> rpm -qa | grep readline
>> readline-5.0-7.2
>> readline-32bit-9.3-7.1
>>
>> it id truly does exist:
>>
>> locate readline
>> /lib/libreadline.so.5
>> /lib/libreadline.so.5.0
>> /lib64/libreadline.so.5
>> /lib64/libreadline.so.5.0
>
> However, these are not the Python readline module. The Suse package for it
> is probably called python-readline or something like that.

okay. Since I grabbed the python tar file from python.org, do I then assume
that readline is not included in the python source distribution? if so,
where would I find it. If not, what different build instructions do I need
to follow to make it build with readline?
--
David Bear
-- let me buy your intellectual property, I want to own your thoughts --