BCD List to HEX List

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Sun Jul 30 19:13:53 EDT 2006

Philippe Martin wrote:
> John Machin wrote:
>
> > Philippe Martin wrote:
> >

> >> Thanks John, I do not have a long available on the device: stuck with 16
> >> bits.
> >>

> > What does "available on the device" mean? Having a "long" is a property
> > of a C complier, not a device. What is the CPU in the device? What is
> > the C compiler you are using? N.B. Last time I looked, gcc would
> > generate code for just about any CPU since Babbage's. I would expect
> > *any* C compiler that is targetting a 16-bit CPU to provide a 32-bit
> > long and generate reasonably efficient code for most simple operations.
> > Is there no library of utility routines for *elementary* base
> > conversions such as you need? Is there no 32-bit-arithmetic-simulation
> > package?
>
> Hi John,
>
> I'm working on an embedded 8 bit device and have no choice as to which
> cross-compiler to use: in this case the guy knows up to short and that's
> it.

What do you mean, no choice? You generate code, you stuff it into the
device, it doesn't give a rat's where the code came from ...

Perhaps we could help you better if you actually answered the
questions, like:
    What is the CPU in the device?
    What is the C compiler you are using?

Is there an assembler for the CPU that's in the device?

Have you considered asking on a newsgroup where your problem might
actually be on-topic, like:
    comp.lang.c
    a NG devoted to microprocessors
?