solving equation system

TG girodt at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 10:19:29 EDT 2006

Ben C wrote:
> On 2006-07-17, TG <girodt at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi there.
> >
> > Anyone knows how to use numpy / scipy in order to solve this ?
> >
> > * A is an array of shape (n,)
> > * X is a positive float number
> > * B is an array of shape (n,)
> > * O is an array of shape (n,) containing only zeros.
> >
> > A.X - B = O
> > min(X)
>
> Are we solving for A, B or X?  And what do you mean by min(X)?
>
> If we're solving for X there will be many combinations of A and B for
> which there is no solution.

Sorry for the poor explanation. I'm trying to put it clear now.

i've got A and B. I'm looking for X. I made a mistake in my equation
:-/

It's more like :

A.X - B >= O

Well, maybe it will be much more simple if I explain the underlying
problem :

I have an array of N dimensions (generally 2).
- A first calculation gives me a set of integer coordinates inside this
array, which I will call the point W.
- After several other calculations, I've got a set of coordinates in
this N dimensional space that are floating values, and not bound to the
limits of my original N-array. This is the point L.

What I want to do is to translate the point L along the vector LW in
order to get a point L' which coordinates are inside the original
N-dimensional array. Then it will be easy to get the closest integer
coordinates from L'.

I'm not sure this is clear ... pretty hard to talk about maths in
english.