Need a compelling argument to use Django instead of Rails

Ben Sizer kylotan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 04:40:29 EDT 2006

Paul Boddie wrote:
> Ben Sizer wrote:
> >
> > Even C++ comes with OpenGL in the standard library.
>
> Which standard library?

Sorry, it was a long day, and I used entirely the wrong term here. By
that, I meant "typically shipped with each compiler". I've never had to
even install a development library to use OpenGL, whether under Win32
or Linux. It's just a typical part of the distribution.

> [Web-SIG standardisation]
> > And I always thought that WSGI was solving the wrong problem. It
> > certainly didn't go very far towards meeting the expressed goals of the
> > Web-SIG. Oh well.
> > <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/web-sig/2004-August/000650.html>
>
> There are some remarks just after that message about the SIG charter
> needing to change or having become irrelevant, but in fact the need for
> standard functionality is as relevant today as ever. At a slightly
> higher level, everyone would now prefer that you buy into their total
> "full stack" solution, perhaps with the exception of the Paste
> developers whose selection of packages either suggest a problem of
> internal framework proliferation or one of a lack of coherency in
> presenting a suitable solution to the casual inquirer.

Yeah. On the server side I think there's been a sad lack of attention
to the large middle ground that lies between simple CGI scripting and
full stack solutions. In fact, I'd guess that the majority of web sites
fall into that middle ground, just perhaps not the most interesting or
financially lucrative ones. Examples might be things like the various
PHP forums, or web-based non-real-time games. These applications are
complex enough to deserve a decent implementation language such as
Python, yet simple and small enough that most users won't want to set
up dedicated hardware for the purpose. I think there's definitely scope
in the standard library to go well beyond the current cgi module and
the piecemeal offerings in other modules, without needing to provide
another integrated web stack.

--
Ben Sizer