handling unicode data

Filipe fcorreia at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 07:17:02 EDT 2006

Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> If I interpret a short Google search, DB-Library might date back to
> the original Sybase core from which M$ SQL Server was spawned. M$'s site
> recommends /not/ using DB-Library but to use ODBC/OLEDB methods instead
> -- something about ODBC being extensible. Could be confusing if both
> Sybase and M$ SQL Server were on the same machine...
>
> http://www.cs.sfu.ca/CourseCentral/Software/Sybase/DB-LIBRARY/DB-LIBRARY.html
>
> 	Technical details reference Sybase, but the wordy stuff is "SQL
> Server" and "Transact-SQL".

The only reason I still think Pymssql (and therefore, DB-Library) might
be the best option is that, it is the only one I know that is both
cross-platform and free - as in beer and as in freedom. (check, in this
thread, a previous message by Tim Golden)

I searched a bit if there are any OLEDB based python libs and found
this one:
http://pyoledb.datadmin.com/

I'm still not sure if it's cross-platform or not, but It does have a
commercial license, so it's not my first choice for now.