BCD List to HEX List

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Sun Jul 30 18:50:31 EDT 2006

Philippe Martin wrote:

> Thanks John, I do not have a long available on the device: stuck with 16
> bits.

What does "available on the device" mean? Having a "long" is a property
of a C complier, not a device. What is the CPU in the device? What is
the C compiler you are using? N.B. Last time I looked, gcc would
generate code for just about any CPU since Babbage's. I would expect
*any* C compiler that is targetting a 16-bit CPU to provide a 32-bit
long and generate reasonably efficient code for most simple operations.
Is there no library of utility routines for *elementary* base
conversions such as you need? Is there no 32-bit-arithmetic-simulation
package?