Configuring IDLE on Linux

Adonis adonis at DELETETHISTEXTearthlink.net
Thu Jul 13 23:52:10 EDT 2006

Satya Kiran wrote:
> Hello,
> I have upgraded to Python2.4 on my Red Hat 9.0 Linux box.
> I want to work with IDLE and ran a search to check it's presence.
> Here is what I get.
>
> [root at localhost bin]# find / -iname idlelib
> /usr/local/lib/python2.4/idlelib
>
> [root at localhost bin]# cd /usr/local/lib/python2.4/idlelib
> [root at localhost idlelib]# python PyShell.py
> ** IDLE can't import Tkinter.  Your Python may not be configured for Tk. **
>
> How do I resolve this and get IDLE working?
>
> thanks in advance,
> Kiran Satya

You must have the Tk libraries present in your system for Python to
compile Tkinter. Go to your distribution's site and try to see if they
offer a TCL/TK package and install it (being that it is Redhat they most
definitely must have one). Then recompile Python.

Hope this helps.

Adonis