Depricated String Functions in Python

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at invalid.invalid
Fri Jul 21 03:41:42 EDT 2006

Sybren Stuvel wrote:

> Donn Cave enlightened us with:
>> Oh, excellent - the string module is dead, long live the string
>> module!  I can replace string.join with str.join, and never have to
>> defile my code with that ' '.join(x) abomination.
>
> It's not an abomination. It's a very clear way of telling those two
> apart:
>
> ' '.join(x)
> u' '.join(x)

I don't understand that comment. Are you saying that str.join vs
unicode.join isn't a clear distinction?

I like using str.join/unicode.join myself, but one advantage of using
separator.join directly is that you can save the bound method:

joinlines = '\n'.join
joinwords = ' '.join

you can't do that by calling the method on the type.