CPU or MB Serial number

Sat Jul 15 03:15:28 EDT 2006

In article <slrneb77ra.98j.sybrenUSE at schuimige.stuvel.eu>,
 Sybren Stuvel <sybrenUSE at YOURthirdtower.com.imagination> wrote:

>Bayazee enlightened us with:
>> How can I get CPU Serial number , or motherboard serial number with
>> python . I need an idetification of a computer ....
>
>Not sure if that'll be sufficient. My serial numbers (according to
>'lshw' on Linux):

Hey, that's pretty cool, I didn't know about lshw before. It doesn't
come with my SuSE 10.0 system, but it is available under Gentoo.

I tried on my Shuttle SN25P box, and it didn't report serial numbers for
anything except the onboard Ethernet.

In general, the OP isn't going to get anything like a universally-usable
serial number, apart from Ethernet MAC addresses.

By the way, lshw seems to think there's a second CPU on my box, but it's
marked as "DISABLED" and has no capabilities. Is it really there, or
just a figment of someone's imagination? :)