ascii character - removing chars from string

Simon Forman rogue_pedro at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 3 22:16:47 EDT 2006

bruce wrote:
> hi...
>
> update. i'm getting back html, and i'm getting strings like " foo  "
> which is valid HTML as the ' ' is a space.

&, n, b, s, p, ;  Those are all ascii characters.

> i need a way of stripping/removing the ' ' from the string
>
> the   needs to be treated as a single char...
>
>  text = "foo cat  "
>
>  ie ok_text = strip(text)
>
>  ok_text = "foo cat"

Do you really want to remove those html entities?  Or would you rather
convert them back into the actual text they represent?  Do you just
want to deal with  's?  Or maybe the other possible entities that
might appear also?

Check out htmlentitydefs.entitydefs (see
http://docs.python.org/lib/module-htmlentitydefs.html)  it's kind of
ugly looking so maybe use pprint to print it:

>>> import htmlentitydefs, pprint
>>> pprint.pprint(htmlentitydefs.entitydefs)
{'AElig': 'Æ',
 'Aacute': 'Á',
 'Acirc': 'Â',
.
.
.
 'nbsp': '\xa0',
.
.
.
etc...

HTH,
~Simon

"You keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it
means."
 -Inigo Montoya, "The Princess Bride"