Need a compelling argument to use Django instead of Rails

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Tue Jul 25 14:14:23 EDT 2006

Sybren Stuvel <sybrenUSE at YOURthirdtower.com.imagination> writes:
[...]
>     - What I was told from a professor in formal languages, which is
>       that there is no formal definition of the Ruby language. That's
>       enough for me to not use it.
[...]

So you're not using Python either?

Probably I don't understand what you're getting at, but the Python
language reference had big gaps in it last time I looked (though
Fredrik Lundh has been working on updated documentation -- I'm sure
he'll do a great job).  Lots of features were just not in there.
Certainly lots of details e.g. regarding the various special method
protocols (especially when it comes to builtin types) are not
documented.  ISTR the core maintainers of CPython aren't even that
worried about the grammar productions listed in the reference manual
being 100% accurate.  CPython and Jython (ignoring the fact that
Jython's still on 2.1) have some fairly significant differences in
various details of the language.  No doubt IronPython will too.  Of
course, this is not something unique to Python, and I guess Python
does very well in comparison, when it comes to actual practice.

The fact that "open classes" are apparently thought to be a good thing
in Ruby puzzles (and worries) me.

John