Need a compelling argument to use Django instead of Rails

Gerhard Fiedler gelists at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 15:07:39 EDT 2006

On 2006-07-31 14:37:26, Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:

>> So, if mod_python provides the same functionality, it's not the main
>> reason why Python developers use application servers while PHP users
>> still program with page codes in /htdocs.
>>
>> Why do PHP users stick to that old way of things? Because they mostly
>> use shared hosts, with no way to install their application server?

I'm not sure about PHP users in general, but I think that there are many
sites hosted on shared hosts. Many of those sites need a solution for
dynamic pages. That's quite a market.

> mod_python is at once lower-level and a bit more powerful than PHP. It
> really exposes most of Apache's API to Python - which BTW doesn't make
> it that well-suited for shared hosting... (most of the time, updating a
> mod_python based app requires restarting the server).

Why is that (restarting required)? And is there a way to "lock down" a
mod_python installation WRT Apache, in a way similar to a typical PHP
installation? AFAIK there are a number of shared hosts that support Python.
I'm not sure whether that's mod_python, though...

Thanks,
Gerhard