Python for Embedded Systems?

Paul McGuire ptmcg at austin.rr.com
Sat Jul 15 12:13:09 EDT 2006

Jack wrote:
> Is there a Python packaging that is specifically for
> embedded systems? ie, very small and configurable so the
> user gets to select what modules to install?
>
> For Linux-based embedded systems in particular?
>
> I'm thinking of running it on the Linksys's Linux-based open
> source router WRT54G. It has 4MB flash and 16MB RAM. I think
> another model has 16MB flash. Any possibilities of running
> Python on these systems?

Here's another recently announced hobbyist microcontroller system:
http://makezine.com/controller/

Uses Atmel SAM7X processor, ARM7, 32-bit, 256K Flash, 64K SRAM, up to
55MHz.

On-board Ethernet and CAN (Controller Area Network - wireless)

Various I/O blocks and on-board sensors

~US$150

Start shipping Aug 1st.

No Python binary yet, but cross-platform tools are available.  The guys
at this magazine could really get a jump with a Python build.  Here's a
related site for this kit: www.uCHobby.com

-- Paul