Converting argv to variable

tgiles tgiles at gmail.com
Sat Jul 22 09:08:41 EDT 2006

(now that I've posted in the wrong flipping newsgroup the first thing,
here's my question to the lovely python folks)

I've taken a year off (or so) using Python and the first thing I run
into utterly stumped me. Been too long and none of the searches I've
done seems to have helped any.
Basically, I'm trying to create a little script which will make a new
directory, using the argument passed to it to give the directory a
name:

#!/usr/bin/python

import sys, os

newDirectory = str(sys.argv[1:])

currentPath =  str(os.getcwd())

create =  currentPath + '/' + newDirectory

print create

# os.mkdir(create)

Now, in a perfect universe I would get an output something like the
following (if I run the script with the argument 'python':

/Volumes/Home/myuser/python

However, Python still hangs on to all the fluff and prints out
something else:

/Volumes/Home/myuser/['python']

I know there must be some way to convert the argument to a 'normal'
variable, but it escapes me how to do so. Any pointers?

Thanks!

tom