Need a compelling argument to use Django instead of Rails

Bruno Desthuilliers onurb at xiludom.gro
Wed Jul 26 12:20:44 EDT 2006

Jaroslaw Zabiello wrote:
> On 26 Jul 2006 08:16:21 -0700, aaronwmail-usenet at yahoo.com wrote:
>

>>>E.g. try to extends or redefine builtin Python classes on fly. Ruby is so
>>>flexible that it can be used to create Domain-specific Programming
>>>Languages.
>>
>>This, of course, is really cool if you are working
>>all by yourself on a dissertation or something,
>>but can be completely disasterous if you are
>>actually working with other people who need to
>>know what the expressions of the programming
>>language mean and do.
>

> This should not be problem in real life. Look at Ruby on Rails. This is
> excellent example of DSL in action.

As Ben Bangert notices, if Rail's a DSL, then so are a lot of Python
frameworks and librairies:
http://www.groovie.org/articles/2005/12/08/is-rails-a-dsl-what-is-a-dsl-and-is-it-possible-in-python

> Rails uses customized Ruby to create
> very friendly web framework. So there is no possible to create such simple
> and friendly framework in other language than Ruby (and Smalltalk which has
> the same feature)

May I suggest that you learn some Lisp dialect ?

> Of course, I you like, you can freeze every object you want and nobody can
> be able to open and change it. You can also trace all activity for changing
> something to objects because Ruby has nice system hooks implemented.

__getattribute__ / __setattr__ / __delattr__

And of course import hooks.

> Ruby
> has nice security system (private, protected, public scopes for methods and
> attributes,

This is not "security", this is data-hiding. And IIRC, Ruby's attributes
are always private - just like in Smalltalk FWIW.

> objects freezing, system hooks). In past Python had Bastion
> module (http://www.python.org/doc/lib/module-Bastion.html) but it was
> rejected and now Python has nothing.

Seems like Zope is not doing so bad...

> Java guys can favor Ruby also because
> of its security.

s/security/orthodox object model/ IMHO.

Jaroslaw, don't take me wrong, I really think that Ruby is a really nice
language (while not as mature as Python when it comes to implementation
and libraries). But I'm afraid that all your arguments here are nothing
more than the usual Ruby/Rails hype.

--
bruno desthuilliers