Missing rotor module

Nick Vatamaniuc vatamane at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 15:22:26 EDT 2006

Unfortunately rotor has been deprecated but it hasn't been replaced
with anything reasonable as far as encryption goes -- there are just a
bunch of hashing funtions (sha, md5) only. If you need to replace rotor
all together I would sugest the crypto library from:

http://www.amk.ca/python/code/crypto.html

It has  good encryption algorithms like AES, IDEA and others.

I know it doesn't have rotor, because rotor is not a very good
encryption algorithm -- I still don't know why it was ever included in
Python. So refactor your code if you can to use AES for example.

But of course if you have bunch of data encrypted with rotor that your
program need to decrypt you can use this replacement found on
mail.python.org:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2005-January/261304.html
It is much slower because it was written in Python while the original
rotor was in C, and I am not sure if it is _exactly_ the same.

Good luck,
Nick V.