Missing rotor module

Paul Rubin http
Tue Jul 25 21:57:01 EDT 2006

"Nick Vatamaniuc" <vatamane at gmail.com> writes:
> Unfortunately rotor has been deprecated but it hasn't been replaced
> with anything reasonable as far as encryption goes -- there are just a
> bunch of hashing funtions (sha, md5) only. If you need to replace rotor
> all together I would sugest the crypto library from:
>
> http://www.amk.ca/python/code/crypto.html
>
> It has  good encryption algorithms like AES, IDEA and others.

If you want something in pure Python that's easy to use, there's also:

  http://nightsong.com/phr/crypto/p3.py

Its security should be better than rotor and its speed is not too
terrible.  However, if you're looking to replace rotor in a production
application you should stick with something more standard,
i.e. AES-based.