Which Pyton Book For Newbies?

Gerhard Fiedler gelists at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 13:12:35 EDT 2006

On 2006-07-24 13:39:20, John Salerno wrote:

> But I think the usual caveat for GUI programming is, is it necessary?
> Would it work just as well to make a website interface to do your work,
> rather than spend the time learning a GUI toolkit and creating a GUI
> app?

While I don't doubt that there are many applications that are well-suited
for web apps and that there are a number of good reasons for making some
apps web-based, why do you think web programming is /not/ GUI programming?

If you just need a few text boxes and buttons in a table-like layout, both
are easy. If you need fancier functionality, both get a bit more
complicated. There isn't much of a difference in terms of designing the
GUI, IMO.

(Actually, complex GUI functionality is probably easier to design to run
well in a local application. You don't have to split up the GUI
functionality between server-side and client-side and you don't have to
deal with the subtle but sometimes significant differences between
browsers.)

Gerhard