War chest for writing web apps in Python?

gslindstrom at gmail.com gslindstrom at gmail.com
Sat Jul 29 09:16:37 EDT 2006

Sybren Stuvel wrote:
> Vincent Delporte enlightened us with:
> > I'm thinking of using Python to build the prototype for a business
> > web appplication.
>
> Why just the prototype?

I don't know about Vincent, but I once worked in a "C++" shop where all
other languages were actively discouraged.  I would build my prototypes
in Python to show proof of concept because I could do it quickly.  It
was also nice to show project managers so they could verify it was what
they wanted us to build before we dedicated a full time effort to
development.

I recall once prototype I created in wxWindows; when I showed it to my
boss he exclaimed "That's Python!?".  He was amazed because it looked
just like the windows apps we developed!

Having moved on to another company where we develop in Python
full-time, I hear my former shop now has many Python (and Perl and
Java) programmers.