Windows vs. Linux

William Witteman hmm at woolgathering.cx
Sun Jul 30 20:16:34 EDT 2006

On Sun, Jul 30, 2006 at 04:21:34PM -0700, noahmd at gmail.com wrote:
<snip />
>offer.  I eventually moved over to Microsoft's Visual Basic.  It was
<snip />

I'm very sorry.

>Long story short, I want to get back into programming, and Python looks
>like a good choice for me to start with, and maybe become advanced
>with.  Right now I run Windows as my main operating system.  On my old

A good choice.  I write Python code both at home, on a Linux box, and at
work, on Windoze.  I find it slightly easier to write Python on Linux
only because I can interact so easily with the OS from the command line
- there are more itches to scratch and Python is one of the best
backscratchers.  Python on Linux lets me automate huge swathes of my
life with ease.  That said, there is a heck of a lot I can easily do on
Windoze too.  The real selling point for me is that I can work on code
for work at home, on a completely different platform, and then take it
to work and I know it'll Just Work(TM).

As a Linux zealot, I'd say use Linux :-)  As a pragmatist, use what you
find more comfortable, and enjoy yourself.
--

yours,

William
woolgathering.cx